Notifications
Clear all

All Things Pets

(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

HI All, if this doesn't make you smile and say "awwww" nothing will! 

Baby bunnies, a golden retriever and a bird all have a friendly good time!  (makes you think that if they can all get along We humans should too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsKBacX9X4

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

WOW. Chill, happy dog. My dogs would be saying, "SNACKTIME!"

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

What do you get when you cross a large dog and a rabbit?

A carRottweiler!

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

This video of 2 golden retrievers and a husky meeting a kitten is adorable! 

https://youtu.be/Z4qPvxAxwAk

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@triciact and @laynara, what sweet videos!  Animals really open our hearts, don't they?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Tomorrow I am adopting another cat to help my kitty feel less lonely.

I found out today that before I adopted her she had been part of a newly bonded pair and her mate was adopted separately. Now all of these months of her slow unfolding make sense. My girl has been grieving for her man. Breaks my heart.

I had canceled the adoption of this new little girl earlier today citing my fear that my present kitty would not adjust when my cat's foster mom relayed to me the information about the unfortunate separation from the male cat. I thought she was so traumatized from being in a hoarder's home that she feared all cats.

But no, she was in the romance of her life with a male tabby who was rescued too from that horror home. He was adopted out because they did not think anyone would take the pair of them. I would have loved to have adopted the pair of them. I have wanted to have two cats for years.

Poor little thing. The fact that she is so loving now is a testament to her loving, resilient, & beautiful spirit. I want her to be happy. She cries at night when I close the door to sleep.(She blew it by meowing in my face to wake me up to play and feed her at all hours when we tried that in the beginning) So I decided to go ahead and try to give my cat a new little sister.

The kitty I am adopting on a two week trial basis is another kitty who has been waiting a long time for a home. Her name is Lollipop and she has special needs with a special diet and meds for a food/skin allergy. Her adoption fee has been donated to try to help her get placed just as was done for my Cleo. I am proud to give overlooked animals a good and loving home. It's not a big place, but this pretty little apartment of mine is home.

I find I am as excited as a 5 year old for tomorrow to come when I get to meet this new little girl. I will be crating her until they both feel comfortable. I am hopeful that she will be a big source of love and joy for all of us!

Pictures to come... :)

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl Congratulations! I hope it works out beautifully. So heart-rending to hear that a bonded pair was broken up and it absolutely speaks to how giving cats are, how ready they are to love conditionally. I am a proud catmom, cat devotee and cat slave and I publish cat-centric books. I love cat stories and I hope this new chapter will have a happy ending. And thank you for choosing a special needs cat.

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Stargazer and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@pikake

I am an avid cat reader. Interested in the books.

I recently received a book of short cat stories. Love to read. 

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Stargazer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

We just moved into our new place and Braelynn has not left her kitty house! I went and check on her and give gave me a look telling me i disturbed her so i apologized and walked away laughing. She loves to get in my bed and cuddle before she goes to her bed. I tell my fiance all the time that's his buddy, she looks for him all the time and when she spots him rolls on her back. She also loves to follow me around and see what I'm doing, last night I was cleaning up my son's room and I sat on the floor she took that time to sneak in some lovings. I don't think life without her would be as special as it is now. She was an older kitty that people kept bringing back to the shelter and when we saw her it automatically clicked she belonged with us ?

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Not an apt story, but an animal story.

We have a trio of wild desert bunnies that have been calling our back and front yards home for some time now.  2 adults and a baby. Sometimes all 3 are together and sometimes 2 or 1 of them can be found amongst our plants or in making their way long our grass.   They sometimes munch on the vegetables in our garden and sometimes I leave vegetable scraps amongst the flowers for them too.  I believe they have a home behind our shed which nearly backs against a wall.  Our dog sniffs that area often and if he comes outside when the rabbits are on that side of the yard,  they take off in that direction.   He can't get them once they go behind the shed as there isn't room for him to fit between the wall and shed.  Our dog loves to chase them but he can and will chase and eat birds if he catches those,  I don't know what he would do with a bunny if he caught one.  

Yesterday, the baby and a parent were in our back yard, exploring.  Watching through our window ( with the dog safely in our house) I noticed the bunnies started to play a game. We have a small half wall by our grass which has two drainage holes at the bottom to allow for water to flow from one side to the other during rain.  The hole is this size of the depth of a cement block.  They started to play a game of chase, running a large circle in and out between the the 2 holes. Half the time they would pause inside a hole and then take off again.  Sometimes the baby would be in front and other times  the parent.  They were having so much fun, you could feel their joy.  

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Stargazer and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @ghandigirl

I am an avid cat reader. Interested in the books.

@ghandigirl Thanks for asking. This is it - https://www.amazon.com/Kitty-Karma-Stories-Small-Change/dp/1775195724/ref=nodl_

We donate a % of net proceeds to cat charities. A couple of children’s books on cats in the works but they are not out yet. Hope you’ll enjoy it.

1589745731-FBD1388E-A5CB-4768-9A7C-C0400B805C66.jpeg

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, polarberry and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@ghandigirl Have you ever read "The Fur Person", by May Sarton?   My aunt gave that to me to read when I was a kid and I can still quote parts despite not having read it in decades.  Sarton really seemed to get into the mind of her cat. 

Jeanne Mayell, polarberry, ghandigirl and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@ana

Someone gave me this little book a few years ago when I had lost my sweet kitten in some very stressful circumstances.

He was exactly like the cat on the front cover of the book, and because I could never get a clear picture of him, I used this drawing to put on the 'lost fliers' that I put around everywhere ....

It was strange when I would try to snap a shot of him, he would dive under anything to get away and when I would look at the image,on my camera (phone) it would just be a flash of light ....?

He was never found, and to this day I am still hesitant to adopt another, even tho I would very much like to.... I feel that he was a little angel who took cat-form to be with me during a very dark time in my life, and I still miss him constantly.

We never know who could be embodied there in the form of our non-human friends, and saying that, they are seemingly more 'human' than most people maybe?

I have really enjoyed all the posts and pix and stories that everyone has contributed here ...please don't stop! It really adds to the sweetness of life to be owned by our fur friends .... ?

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, ghandigirl and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

We picked up our dog's ashes. Had been putting off doing so. Made it real. 

I don't like dog beds where the whole bed isn't washable, because the foam inserts in the kind that you can only wash the cover get dusty and nasty. About a year ago, I found a very large one that was machine washable. It was an orthopedic bed and he loved it as he had arthritis. When we brought it home, our daughter's dog, who is also a big pup, kept trying to steal it because finding a bed big enough for her is a challenge.

I washed it twice on sanitize and we gave it to her. She froze. Sniffed it all over, intently, for ten minutes or so, then went and laid down on the other side of the room. She won't lay on it.

They know. I miss him.

Jeanne Mayell, Iridium, Unk p and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@polarberry

OHHHHH that gave me goose bumps. Yes they do know don't they!!! I'm so sorry about your furbaby....I'm a dog lover too - in case you needed a hint....    ? ? 

Jeanne Mayell, polarberry, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

So i found a baby on the curb.  A baby opossum.  At first i thought she had been hit by a car- but she was only "playing possum".  I kept her overnight, feeding her catfood and blueberries.

The Opossum Society (which i want to join, if for no other reason, so that i can say "Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I am a card-carrying member of The Opossum Society") -says that if the possum is longer than 7 inches, not including the tail, then it is old enough to release.  She was 8.5 inches.

I took her to the nature center, and showed her the shallow stream of water.  She jumped right in.  After about ten minutes, she wandered off, into the thick underbrush.  Goodbye Opie!

1589945349-20200519_125658-15.jpg

JourneyWithMe2, Michele, Lovendures and 25 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Tricia, thanks.

The second dog to join our family, our daughter's, the one who won't sleep on the bed, was a surprise for our daughter's birthday. She was a puppy when we brought her home. (found her at the pound) She's half Lab, half Shepherd.

None of us will ever forget the reaction of our oldest dog. You could just read the thoughts and expressions on his face like the crawlers on the bottom of the news. LOL Everything from "Seriously?" to "Can't you people see how stupid this thing is?" His nose was so out of joint. For a week he wouldn't make eye contact (again), wouldn't come when he was called. She was all over him from day one, sniffing, trying to play, crawling on him. He either just ignored her or gave warning growls.

After about a week, we were all out in the backyard. It was summertime. All of a sudden, like a light switch, he started to play. Rolled over on his back and let her jump on him, swatted at her, play growled, chased her. It was so awesome and none of us will ever forget it. They were friends from then on. She was also the only one of our dogs he would share his chew toys with.

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

by special request, here is another pic of Opie Opossum.  I know she looks like a "Lambchop" toy, but she is real!

1590025532-20200519_125230_HDR3-12a.jpg

TriciaCT, Pikake, deetoo and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@unk-p. I have fallen in love with her, and they eat a thousand ticks a day if you are lucky enough to have one in your yard. Last year I read about a guy who goes around rescuing baby opossum's from their mother's pouches when the mothers are found dead. 

TriciaCT, deetoo, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

I vote Opie as the ALL THINGS PETS forum mascot!

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 28
Share: