Notifications
Clear all

All Things Pets

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

@triciact @deetoo @yogagirl @polarberry

I took the liberty of starting this thread.

I so miss my marmalade cat that we lost in February... I miss his hugs, and wish he was here to help me through everything that's going on now (but not sick as he was). I just buried his ashes with some wildflower seeds near our lemon tree out back. By myself - the fam wasn't so interested.  And then I blocked off where he is so my chi-daschi doesnt try to dig him up!!

And that chi-daschi? She dug her way out under the fence the other night while I was sitting on my deck! I called her for dinner and realized... So I masked up, checked out back in the canyon, nope. Went out front on the street, nope. Went to my next door neighbor (who has cats she likes to chase), and there she was, right outside their back gate, grinning from ear to ear like an idiot. I had to take my mask off - she wouldn't come to me with it on. Scooped her up, and then spend time after dinner plugging up the hole she made and blocking the fence off with flower bed border fencing. And then yesterday I watched her go around to her dig spots and look like "WTF???". I told her to dig elsewhere. She did.

Furry kids!!!!

Shana DeLorie, Jeanne Mayell, teriz and 22 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
Illustrious Member Registered

YAY! Thank you!!

That's so funny! I have one that's a digger too.  She could uproot a sequoia in under five minutes. She leaves ankle-breaking holes all over the property and looks at me wanting praise for her great talent.

Jeanne Mayell, teriz, Pikake and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@laura-f and @polarberry

So I am having a tough day with work today and I keep coming back to this topic (thank you Laura!) because it's making me smile.  HOW adorable and funny!

Jeanne Mayell, teriz, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

A few years ago I had a border collie named Brandy ( Winnie) she was allergic to allot of different pet and human shampoos they made her have seizures. Anyways, she was mischievous, she was mad at me so she tried pooing on my shoe! She was my best friend we did everything together. She passed after I moved with my mom and she stayed with my dad in Ohio, it hurt that i didn't get to see her before she passed. My mom thought getting me another dog would make me feel better at the time it didn't but Sissy Girl became my angel. She was the sweetest dog, whenever I came home from school she would zoom across the house as fast as she could cause she was so excited! She would sleep on my pillow and lick my forehead before we went to sleep. She passed away in 2017, i was with my mom in the hospital and my sister called me she was having seizures out of no where and looking around for me. I talked to her through the phone and told her I knew she was suffering and if it was her time to go I understood and loved her dearly. She died not 5 minutes later. It took me a few years to get another pet, my fiance is also allergic, well he let me go to the shelter and I fell in love with a kitty named Kiwi she was so scared and didn't trust anyone,but she loved on me. I had her for a few months, but she got jaundiced out of no where and i took her to the vet and she was in liver failure, she wad 2 years old and she passed on my sons birthday. Then I got my kitty Braelynn who has been a rollercoaster i love her dearly shes a mess! ? She loves attention but also doesn't. She'll lick your toes then bite them. She lets me know when she is hungry, she has to have her wet kitty food or I won't hear the end of it!

Sorry for the long rant!!!

Shana DeLorie, Jeanne Mayell, teriz and 16 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

This was my sweet Sissy ?

1588967694-received_541596673457601.jpeg

teriz, TriciaCT, Grace and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

For some reason I have always ended up rescuing female cats.  I’ve had four since I have been on my own.  All have lived long health lives, the oldest lived to be 23.  Ten years ago I was down to one and had the chance to take in a boy!  He is a gray and white tuxedo named Mr. Peabody.  He is a great character.  He is also my lap sitter which is what he is doing now.  Two years later I looked out my back door and there sat a beautiful baby long hair.  He is part Maine Coon.  I opened the door to go out to see him and he trotted right in and went nose to nose with Peabody.  I tried isolating him in my second bedroom with a portable screen door.  It took him less than 10 minutes to escape.  I named him Harry as in Houdini.  They are my first males since I was a little girl.  It’s funny Harry was not especially fond of Sandy, my cat that just crossed, but since he has gone Harry now sleeps at the end of the couch where Sandy liked to sleep.  Cats are funny creatures.

Jeanne Mayell, teriz, TriciaCT and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

I thought i would also share a picture of sweet Kiwi? I miss her so much

1588968190-received_2422613978000148.jpeg

TriciaCT, Grace, LalaBella and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

For anyone who loves cats or dogs of animals of any kind,  The Secret Life of Pets 1 & 2 are must-see movies.  They were made for kids but adults too and they are laugh-out-loud funny. I love them.

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

What do you call a large furry dog that meditates?

Aware wolf!

teriz, TriciaCT, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f, why does it not surprise me that you have such a spirited, independent pup?  Just like you!  I've never seen a chi-daschi; do you have a pic?   I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet marmalade.  I love the idea of burying his ashes among the wildflowers.

@polarberry, I loved the Secret World of Pets!  Haven't had a chance to see the second one yet.

@laynara, Sissy and Kiwi are precious!  Thank you for sharing those pics with us.  Our furry companions bring so much joy into our lives.

teriz, polarberry, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

I posted this in another thread many months ago, but decided to share it here.

Our sweet Gracie passed away 2-1/2 years ago.   Gracie was a mixed rescue pooch, about 3 years old (we think) when we adopted her, with very little known about her history.  My strong sense was that she was neglected, most likely abused, and dumped by the side of the road.  She was discovered with a litter of pups when they were all picked up by a NC pound.  A rescue group took the pups but unbelievably, left Gracie at the pound, to be euthanized.  Thankfully another group came to Gracie’s rescue and transported her to Virginia.  When we adopted Gracie, she was living with her foster mom, Lee, for about 6 weeks.

Gracie was initially stand-offish and depressed when she came to live with us.  She found shelter in her crate, but gradually joined us on the sofa and for walks.  She slowly began “talking.”  Trust was slowly developing.  At that time Gracie enjoyed going outside, but only when we accompanied her.  I think Gracie was afraid she would be abandoned again.  

About two months after Gracie was with us, she began acting strangely.  She suddenly wanted to remain outside, only coming into the house to eat.  We even had to coax Gracie to come in at bedtime.  When she initially began her odd behavior, we thought Gracie had run away because at first we couldn’t locate her.  We discovered Gracie inside a hole she had dug for herself, in a small, isolated wooded area of our backyard.  Each time we let her out she would return to that hole, again and again.  After about 4 days of her perplexing behavior, we decided to call our vet and see what he thought was going on.  Before we had a chance to contact him, we received a call from Crystal, the director of the rescue group from where we had adopted Gracie.  Crystal told us that Lee, Gracie’s foster mom, had passed away in her sleep, from an aneurysm.  It was quite shocking, especially since Lee was only 23 years old.   I then asked, “when did Lee die?”  Crystal responded, “Monday morning.”   It immediately occurred to us that Monday was the first day Gracie had begun her odd behavior.  Our dear, sweet Gracie knew what had happened to Lee, her first real human mom and probably the first person who had ever consistently shown Gracie kindness and pure love.  Gracie was in mourning.

Once we understood the situation, we stopped worrying and let Gracie be.  After about a day or so, she rejoined our family.  Over time she loved going outside to chase squirrels or protect her turf, but she also loved spending equal time with us, inside our home.  We also made yearly trips to the beach, where Gracie loved to surf fish with us.  And over the next 11 years, she blossomed.  Gracie passed away from cancer and we buried her ashes with a stone marker under her favorite sycamore tree, where she spent hours patrolling for squirrels.  It comforts me to think that Lee was there to greet Gracie when she passed on.  And Gracie will be there, waiting to greet us, when our time comes.

1589045655-Gracie2.jpg

Jeanne Mayell, teriz, Grace and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

For nine years I had my dog, the greatest source of love in my life at that time, my Toby.

Toby and I shared ill health although I did not think of him as unhealthy until the next dog came along, Penny, world's healthiest pup. I left Penny for my daughter as Penny always chose her first. Toby was supposed to be for my daughter but he became my dog and rarely left my side for very long.

Toby was my heart, and he was devoted to me. When I was injured and walked very slowly especially up and down steps he walked and waited on each step with me.

I learned to paint so I could paint a picture of him.  I have painted several.

Toby died of heart failure at 10 years of age in December of 2018. I asked him to meet me when I die, to be the first sight I see, him running towards me. If there is a G-d and angels than he will be there.

1589046069-I-love-you-toby.jpg

teriz, Michele, Grace and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

I wish I could figure out how to attach a photo.  I tried but didn’t work.

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

I love all the dog pictures! They are all gorgeous!! And Lawrence, the raincoat LOL

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@yogagirl, If you click on "Attach file' (Choose File), it will go out to your folders.  If you have the picture saved as a jpg in one of your folders, you then click on the file, tell it to open, and it will show up at the bottom of your text as an attachment.  When you post the file, the actual picture will show at the bottom of your post.    I hope I'm making sense!   

I'm not certain whether you're able to post two pictures; you might have to post each separately.  Also, there is a file size limit, although I can't remember now what that is.  I was unable to find that info under the Forum Rules. ? 

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@deetoo

We have two dogs and 1 kitty right now. The Chi-daschi is Coco. She looks like a chihuahua, but she has mostly daschund brain... emphasis on hund (hound).

Here's a pic of her in her morning routine - she likes to hang out on the deck and have breakie al fresco. These little dogs are very good at self care!

1589052558-83709176_10221381260148842_3288052736469237760_o.jpg

Grace, Share, ghandigirl and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

And here is the last pic I took of Arlo, our marmalade. You can see that Tess, our remaining kitty, kept him company through his transition, even though they were not littermates.

1589052665-86485022_10221606855668589_4666919482537541632_o.jpg

Michele, Grace, Share and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Ok let’s try

1589061284-yogagirlkitty.jpg

Grace, Share, ghandigirl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

And it wouldn't be right to omit our original princess, Bambi! She's my little chihuahua with heart failure... but smart as a whip and the most polite dog I have ever known.

1589053120-20451831_10213627700354693_6923701817435120028_o.jpg

Grace, ghandigirl, Share and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks DeeToo it worked.  That is Mr Pea and Harry playing with their Christmas present.  They are so well mannered they take turns.

polarberry, ghandigirl, Grace and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 28
Share: