Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Waterless Toilets

(@nwdoug)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Last summer my wife and I were camping in tents on our undeveloped property. The main issue we had was dealing with our human waste. We decided to rent a Sani-Can for the summer. Next year we wish to find a better way.

A friend suggested using a composting toilet. I researched current models and found an amazing one. It is approved by the Coast Guard for use on boats. It can be used in an RV. It can be bolted to the floor an outhouse. It can even be bolted to a piece of plywood and set right on the ground. The only requirement is a 12V connection for powering a fan inside the exhaust vent. The unit separates liquid from solid with no smell or disease causing bacteria being developed. The solid waste turns into a compostable brick and can be added to a compost pile for further breakdown. 1-part liquid waste can be diluted with 8-parts water. The liquid and solid waste can then be added to ornamental plants and trees safely.

I contacted the county health department about composting toilets. It allows them for use in our area but the one I’m interested in has not been tested for use in our county. It did say if we were to use an allowed model we could reduce our drain field size by 40%. Unfortunately, we would still be required to install a drain field to take care of greywater. I was hoping to be able to pump our washing and shower water into the woods.

It seems there’s lots of resistance to changing laws the way we do things once they have been accepted. The world needs a different way. Just think how much water could be saved from pollution in the world by not using water to treat our human waste. I read an article this morning about how Bill Gates is also redesigning toilets that don’t use water.

Topic Tags
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks, Doug. I'd like to add to your suggestions.  Years ago when hiking at one of  Mass Audubon's wildlife sanctuaries  I noticed that their main building used only composting toilets.  You go into the ladies or men's room and the toilet looks totally normal except that it composts all the waste.  And there is no smell!  

One of the most knowledgable people in the world on composting toilets is my dear friend Carl Lindstrom, who now lives in Sweden.  His father started the first composting toilet called Clivus.  Carl sells these toilets in some parts of the world and is a trustworthy resource of where and what to buy.  They are a much more sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to our sewer based water closets.  His company is http://www.kompostera.se/eng/index.htm l">CompostEra.com.

Unk p and Unk p reacted
Share: