Clear all

[Solved] U.S. Island in Danger of Being Swallowed by the Sea - in 20 Years

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@light)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

The shrinking of the island Tangier, Virginia due to rising seas.

Tangier Island, Virginia could be uninhabitable in 20 years due to rising water levels and erosion. 

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/06/09/lead-gray-tangier-island-va-at-risk-of-disappearing-pkg.cnn

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

87% of the people on that island voted for Donald Trump.  It looks like half the island has already disappeared.  It is hard to watch these people say they are hopeful that the island will be saved.   They are expecting that the federal government will save them; the Army Corps of engineers will build some huge hurricane wall.  This is just a harbinger of what is to come all over the eastern seaboard of the U.S., and New Orleans, and Miami, and on and on all over the world.  The locals at this island talk about Trump's "infrastructure" plans.  Trump has no infrastructure plan. It's just a buzz word he throws around to make those clueless people think he's going to save them. 

Paul W and Paul W reacted
(@paul-w)
Noble Member Registered

All of my Republican friends think that Trump's "infrastructure plan" is going to be like FDR's WPA. I try to tell them that there is no "there" there but they will not hear it. At least not yet.

I would guess that places like Tangier Island will become uninhabitable when a storm surge wipes out a bunch of property owners who don't have enough insurance or when insurance companies stop underwriting policies along the coast (as they are well aware of what is happening with climate change).

Share: