Notifications
Clear all

The Rate at Which Seas are rising and Climate Change is progressing

(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered

There is at least a person i know how who drew what it will comes. Image of flood. One of the image was then recognised as a not famous place in Miami....It was last year... Miami  became the Venice 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I read this today and felt the earth shaking:  For the first time in history, every month so far this year has been at least 1°C greater than the 1951-1980 climate baseline. 

If you can't decipher the graph, just check out the colors, as we move from 1920 to 2020.

1592362950-heating-up.jpg

FEBbby23, gbs, Goldstone and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jeanne-mayell

Well that is pretty scary.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bomoh, What is your view on fossil-fuel caused climate change? 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bomoh. You wrote earlier that you were here to expand the perspective, but it seems you are here to obscure the true cause of climate change. Fossil fuel companies love this kind of obfuscation and they promote  books like that prophecy book and sun spot theories.  I do not have time for this.  

Fossil fuel burning has caused climate change. The science is incontrovertible.  The fossil fuel companies are the greatest Darth Vaders of our world. Their owners and investors shall be held responsible for their crime. 

The cause of climate change is not up for debate, just as whether the earth is flat is not up for debate.

CC21 and CC21 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@barbarmar22)
Prominent Member Registered

@bomoh. There is a more recent experience of climate change. In April of 1815, Mount Tambora exploded in a powerful eruption that killed tens of thousands of people in Indonesian.

The following year became known as the "year without a summer" when unusually cold, wet conditions swept across Europe and North America. The year 1816 is known as the Year Without a Summer because of severe climate abnormalities that caused average global temperatures to decrease significantly. Summer temperatures in Europe were the coldest on record between the years of 1766–2000. This resulted in major food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.

This was the timing when Mary Shelley wrote her famous novel, Frankenstein.

ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

Today's article presents another sad true-life instance of what this forum has been talking about regarding coastal erosion from climate change acceleration:

Luxury Homes In Australia Are Falling Into The Ocean Due To Coastal Erosion

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/australia/australia-coastal-erosion-homes-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

An excerpt from the article:

"Coastal erosion is threatening other communities around the country, too; nearly 39,000 buildings around the Australian coast are at risk of accelerated erosion due to the effects of climate change, according to the government's geoscience agency."

Share, CC21, Avon and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@jeanne-mayell (and anyone else who predicted the rise of climate refugees in the US)

Scientific proof of what you've foreseen, courtesy of ProPublica:

Climate Change Will Force American Migration

Maps Supporting Above Article

CC21, FEBbby23, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laura-f. I saw it this morning. And I remember it was one of the biggies that came to me many years ago.  

Another of the biggies that has now come true that I  predicted back in 2010 was the climate change would happen much faster than scientists were predicting. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-hasnt-warmed-this-fast-in-tens-of-millions-of-years/

I have some articles I wrote here from 2010 to 2015.  Seas will rise 20 feet by 2100 and likely even sooner, perhaps by 2060.  We've lived in our house 35 years and it's our third house. If anyone plans to buy property they intend to hold more than a few years, buy at least 50 feet above sea level. Why 50 feet?  Because storms will be much stronger, winds stronger, and with sea rise, you could get wiped out in 15 years if you are in the path of a hurricane. Within ten years, insurance companies will make flood insurance along the coasts, especially the U.S. Eastern Seaboard and the Gulf of Mexico coastlines unaffordable for most. 

PracticalNihilist, Grace, CC21 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@jeanne-mayell

I was relieved to see that for the most part, San Diego county will fare reasonably well. While there are some low-lying coastal residential areas, where we are is 250 feet above sea level, about a mile in from the Bay and about 2 miles in from the ocean proper.

Hubby and I are still considering whether to relo or stay, it's been a long month of arguments and discussions. For now we have decided to stay in SD for the next 2 years or so, to see where our daughter and her BF land and in the meantime we might be looking to be in a quieter part of SD county and get away from the hordes of transients (homeless AND tourists) that are here in the city.

We will also be exploring other areas for future consideration including: Vancouver WA, Anacortes WA, Santa Fe NM, Grand Junction CO. In fact we will visit Vancouver/Portland in October - I want to see how many Trump signs and confederate flags there are in "Vantucky" (yes, that's the real nickname).

CC21, FEBbby23, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

I have a good friend who is a working intuitive, and I spoke to her a few weeks ago.  I happened to mention that my nephew and his wife had moved, and before I could say where, she said "to Albuquerque?".  ?  I shouldn't have been surprised given what she does for a living, but i was.  Anyway, I said yes, and that I was casually looking into the cost of living there just out of curiosity (it's *much* lower than where I am now, btw).  She said, "Oh, well that's not a surprise to me. I've seen you moving there at some point." 

I don't know if I will actually do that, at least not for the foreseeable future.  I'm still unemployed and still living with my mom, who is going strong at 80, and she refuses to move.  We'll see, I guess.

CC21, Share, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f

Thank you for sharing this! I am in the Great Lakes region (Michigan) and remember @jeanne-mayell mentioning it as a future climate change refuge area. I have already seen inquiries this week on a mom's list I am on about someone in California looking to relocate to our area specifically because of the wildfires and climate changes. I sense the wildfires (and hurricanes this year, specifically) are really shifting everyone's attention and bringing those climate change issues to the surface of people's daily lives now, even in areas that are not directly affected at the moment.

Share, LalaBella, Share and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@tgraf66

We are looking at Santa Fe and Taos, just north of ABQ, as they are higher elevation and less desert-y.

@cc21

We have friends in St. Joseph MI and family in Chicago, so MI has been added to our list as well.

Share, CC21, Share and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @laura-f

@tgraf66

We are looking at Santa Fe and Taos, just north of ABQ, as they are higher elevation and less desert-y.

@cc21

We have friends in St. Joseph MI and family in Chicago, so MI has been added to our list as well.

Santa Fe proper is actually just as desert-y as Albuquerque. If you want a greener area you need to go up into the surrounding mountains.  In the Albuquerque area, if you want greenery you also go up into the mountains (pine forest) or to the greenbelt of the river valley where I live(Cottonwoods/Elms and irrigated farmland).  I love Taos, but it's a bit isolated and cold in the winter...

Grace, LalaBella, Grace and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@frank I'm in the East Bay, so I'm accustomed to being a bit "desert-y", and I actually prefer that if only for the temperature range. I do like greenery and such, but I'm so averse to winter that I don't think I'd want to go much higher in elevation than ABQ.  I'll check into the valley greenbelt, though; as long as it doesn't get horribly cold/snowy in the winter, that would be very nice for me.

ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

Does the US government have a map of sort that shows how well you're faring when sea levels rise? We have one in The Netherlands and it is a great tool to base your decisions off. 

It has advice on what to do even if you don't get flooded and how to prepare and all. I know we're a water-country, but perhaps a branch is preparing in the US as well?

https://www.overstroomik.nl/overstroom-ik.html is the Dutch site. 'overstroom ik' basically means: will I get flooded. 

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@moonbeam

Scroll up - I posted a link to those kinds of maps.

And yes, we do have access to maps for flooding, although with the current regime they have probably not been maintained nor updated.  You have to buy extra home insurance if you live in a likely-to-flood area, however insurance companies here no longer cover coastal properties affordably, if at all.

ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@frank One time we went to Tucson down from I 40. We went through the town Snowflake. It is a beautiful town lot of trees. We never went that way again because we had to go down a winding mountain road to the bottom, and then up the mountain again. I'm afraid of highs, but the town was lovely.

Grace, Frank, Grace and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f and @tgraf66 I used to live in ABQ and, like Frank, I also recommend the riverbelt area. It goes right through town. It does not get any snowier in the river valley than in the rest of ABQ. Also look into the community of Corrales. Gorgeous.

Laura, I grew up in San Diego, lived there 25 years including Clairemont, Chula Vista, North Park, and Rancho Bernardo. You will miss the ocean at first when you move away, but you will quickly grow to enjoy the slower pace of life and the beauty of your new community, wherever you decide to live :)

And while I'm at it, let me throw Northern Colorado along the east side of the Rockies (the region known as the Front Range) into the hat for your consideration. Been here since '96 and I love it. Not sure you'd enjoy Grand Junction, though you might. It's a pretty area but a little too conservative for me.

Best of luck with your planning and decisions!

LalaBella, tgraf66, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

As you know, I don't have much psychic ability, but my head is full of info and questions. I have a nagging question. Probably a dumb, dumb question, but here goes... If China can build islands in the China Sea, why can't we build up our coasts?

lowtide and lowtide reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: