Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] The Gulf Stream Situation (We are on the edge of a tipping point)

(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

Copying Graham's essay, breaking it down into parts:

Gulfstream flow is now only about 50% of what it used to be. This is a very accurate measurement. 

• 50% collapse of the stream should be having serious effects, but it is counter balanced by the increase in Arctic temperatures and ice melt. 
  • The stream itself is weakened and does not flow more than some hundreds of miles from Cape Cod. 
  • None of the stream makes it to Europe. 
  • Even worse, the stream sometimes switches to flowing right up the west side of Greenland, and into the Arctic Ocean, where it does a great job speeding up the Arctic ice melt. 
  • Jet-streams (in the atmosphere), around the pole, are also in a bad state, and split into several different speeds, all rotating around the pole at different speeds, at different locations. This in turn moves the So-called “Azores High” high pressure zone in the Atlantic Northwards, which heats up the weather. 
  • It all works out slightly hotter, than usual, but it is a highly unbalanced system that could go totally AWOL, at some point in the future. This would be disastrous. Probably lead to whipsaw type climate disturbances, and freezing weather, for a while, (see the movie, “The Day after tomorrow”. This would be temporary, But, temporary in the sense of say 20-30 years, until it settles down. 
  • There would be a high level three year freeze, where there would be no Summer, (or crops) for three years. (This has happened before.) 
  • This is all just about the gulf stream in this post, there are a number of other bad things lurking out there woods. We are living on borrowed time. We are approaching several “tipping Points” in the next 10 years.--Graham

•  
    --Jeanne Mayell 09/19/2017 at 11:03 pm . 

Doc, Lola, Dianne and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

When I first started looking at climate science ten years ago, the idea that the Gulf Stream would weaken was of utmost concern to me.  It is the heart pump of the oceans, and in a sense, it is the heart pump of the organism we call earth, upon which our survival depends.

So in addition to the effects Graham has mentioned, which are horrific, is that the Gulf Stream, which acts like a rushing river through the ocean, previously pulled water into it. But now, as it weakens, that water will wash back onto the shores of the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S., causing greater sea level rise to a coast line that is also sinking since the last ice age. This is why the coastline from Cape Hatteras to the tip of Maine will experience much greater sea level rise of the rest of the world. In the 1980's psychics were predicting 20 foot sea level rise for the 1980's.  They were wrong in the timing, but it is coming before the end of this century. 

Then there are the effects of freezing years in which we can't grow crops. The readings I've gotten on climate change for the last several years have been that food scarcity will be the first big effect. That has already been happening with the major food baskets that are all underperforming.  But we don't read much about that yet. 

We do read about the impact of super storms, though. But super storms don't effect everyone. Food scarcity will when it really hits effect everyone.  Food prices will soar. People will starve in many parts of the world.  I had seen a $50 apple.  

We should be storing food as the Pharaoh did in the Bible when they knew a seven year famine was coming. 

The jet stream changes you mentioned are responsible for the 112 inches of snow we got in Boston in 2015, and the lack of snow in Alaska that same winter which caused the Alaskans to move the Iditarod Dog Sled Race 400 miles north from where it is usually held, and they still had to make snow for it even then. 

Doc, Lola, Paul W and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@runestoneone)
Noble Member Registered

If the gulf-stream pump shuts down, the first places to feel it will be Britain and Norway.  They're considerably more temperate than they should be by latitude, due to the gulf stream.  I think cold-frames and warehouse farming will become a big thing, fast.

-R1-

Doc, Lola, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Doc
(@doc)
Reputable Member Registered

I’m sorry I’ve missed these posts over the last few hours or days.

I totally agree. The evidence for the Atlantic Ocean “pump” (and to a lesser extent, the Pacific and Indian Ocean pumps too) shows we’re on the cusp of a turn from runaway warming to a cooling period. Some call what’s coming a “mini-ice age.”

This is consistent with historical records of our last mini-ice age from about 1550 to 1750 - a slow ramp up to cooler temps with lots of variation, until an eventual return to warmer temps. Again, we’re in the midst of a sawtooth pattern in one of the warmth plateaus between major ice ages. 

Unfortunately, only a handful of scientists have put together ALL available climate data to show this is so. That’s why I’m so glad to see your post about this.

It totally helps with planning for what’s to come!

ReplyQuote
 Doc
(@doc)

Also, watch Iceland - their geothermal energy sources will become SO important to Northern Europe very quickly.

ReplyQuote
 Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

I read this article recently about new research which says that Gulf stream slowdown might not actually affect Europe as previously thought:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/broadcast/read/36137

Does anyone have any thoughts? Any scientists here that would agree?

ReplyQuote
(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

No. A big no.

This university is a 10 minute bus ride from where i live, and I absolutely get annoyed when I see the social scientists and economists there meddling in serious Climate physics. This is an economics prof, and cohort, who have no climate physics, zero, nada, etc. They simply do not understand what is going on. They cherry pick data, read UN reports, (incomplete, censored, biased, and controlled by the USA). 

The lack of knowledge of climate change displayed is staggering. I had posted to Jeanne some internal stuff, from the inner core climate experts, but had not posted it on here, as I did not want to freak people out. Try "Arctic News"  for a very clear, uncensored view of what is happening. Google, and be awed. We are right into a major climate runaway scenario right now, and it is irreversible. it is also highly unstable, prone to "Whipsaw"  violent swings in the climate, and, paradoxically, swings that will heat one part of the World, but freeze Europe and the USA. Put bluntly, the climate is out of human control, in runaway, unstable, and likely to collapse the World food supply within 10 years, or even less. None of this matches the ideas of social scientists or economists, because they do not understand the physics, the systems modelling, and the sheer acceleration curve of the climate runaway. We are now entering into the sharp angled bit of the "Hocky stick" and some predictions are that there will now be a very abrupt transition in the steep bit of the hocky stick curve, so that temperatures expected in say, 100 years time, might now be expected in say, 10-25 years. Thats it folks!. (as they bugs bunny cartoons used to say.) Sorry for the rant, but this is my home territory, and we have to live with the stuff of nightmares.  

Jeanne Mayell, Lola, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for clarifying. We have to stay up on the science, i.e., have our eyes open, and also stay hopeful about how humanity will manage it all. 

ReplyQuote
 Doc
(@doc)

Yes thanks to everyone for this info - forewarned, forearmed.

This report with a link to the entire pdf document is really helpful to me in getting my head and heart around the issues, as well as what can be done about it all...

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/programs/geh/geh_newsletter/2016/4/articles/new_report_distills_the_science_behind_climate_change_impacts_on_health.cfm

ReplyQuote
Share: