The Future of Farming  

RSS

(@lovendures)
Registered
05/29/2019 11:47 pm  

In the past we have discussed the way crops will be grown in the future.  Namely, indoor and perhaps vertical.  The article below is interesting for a few reasons.  It discusses a new way to farm indoors based on the way Norway is now farming which takes up less space, water and no chemicals.  

Additionally and what I think is the icing on the cake, this company is planning on operating in the Appalachian Region.  They will be providing jobs in a region sorely in need of jobs.  They will be creating jobs in a healthy manner unlike the coal mining jobs which destroyed the earth and peoples lives.  Also, produce will reach 70% of the US population in 1 day because of where they are located.  Very fresh produce.

This is inspiring.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/can-giant-greenhouses-help-feed-consumers-appharvest-wants-to-find-out/553570/

I find this amazing.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/can-giant-greenhouses-help-feed-consumers-appharvest-wants-to-find-out/553570/

Tiger-n-Owl, deetoo, Coyote and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
05/30/2019 8:46 am  

I love this!  I've been seeing in the future vast acres of greenhouses in my mind's eye now for several years. I kept thinking they were in Canada, but Appalachia is closer to the U.S. population and needs the work.  

They also point out that greenhouse agriculture enables them to grow in one acre what outdoor needs ten acres for.  

Tiger-n-Owl, deetoo, Lovendures and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@melissa)
Registered
05/30/2019 9:38 am  

I love this too!!! And have been obsessed with this concept as a future job for myself. Which is kind of crazy since I know nothing about farming.... And I love the concept of creating a new industry in place of coal.

Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote, deetoo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Registered
05/30/2019 9:30 pm  

Melissa, you should check out WWOOF-USA (Willing Workers on Organic Farms). It's an organization that connects organic farmers with people who want to know more about farming. The volunteers perform farm chores in exchange for meals and board from their hosts. Since 2016 I've WWOOFed on seven farms in six states, and it's been a great experience.

Bee, Tiger-n-Owl, Melissa and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
05/30/2019 11:24 pm  

Coyote, I would love to hear more about your experiences on the various farms.  It sounds quite interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@melissa)
Registered
05/31/2019 11:23 am  

Coyote, thank you so much for the link. Seems like the perfect intro for me. Much appreciated!

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b-here-in-the-forum)
05/31/2019 2:02 pm  

Of note, the average age of the America farmer is currently 56. It is an aging out and into retirement population where more and more of the younger generation would rather go into the high tech industry with its huge salaries than life sustaining or humanity serving occupations. 

On another note, I watched a news short or retraining Appalachian coal miners into bee keeping.

Our family are big proponents of Community Supported Agriculture which is primarily small farms with subscription based monthy produce boxes.

Just being a part of such a program helps small farmers and their small farmers grow .

And to Costcos benefit, they also very involved in supporting these farms.  Local sustainability. Our Costco honey clearly states the it came from our local Oregonian beekeepers.

Bees are dying out in record numbers including by deliberate acts of destruction of massive bee hive farms. We needs both for our own survival!  

And kudos to you Melissa, look into volunteering perhaps on a small farm!

Love, light, and healing prayers,
💜 MIchele

Melissa liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
Blue
Pear
Black Emo
{blue}:grinning:
{blue}:wink:
{blue}:face:
{blue}:inlove: