Relocation of USDA Scientists  

RSS

lynn
(@lynnventura)
Registered
01/07/2019 9:29 pm  

It looks like the administration is taking yet another wrecking ball to good government by forcibly relocating scientists who do climate and agriculture research from the DC area to Kansas City. Those who refuse to move will be fired. Yet another evil ingenious way to break things that work. This administration isn't failing, it feels wildly successful. Even if democrats are able to win the presidency, they'll spend 8 years just getting to where we were in 2016, if they're lucky. It's so depressing.

Gracesinger, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 2 people liked
(@lovendures)
Registered
01/07/2019 11:54 pm  

I heard about this when first announced 2 weeks ago.  At the time I thought there was a good chance it wouldn't happen in the end.  Now I am not so sure.  It is very distressing news indeed.

ReplyQuote
(@anita)
Registered
02/07/2019 12:30 am  

I just saw this on Rachel Maddow. Not only would the best scientists be moved from DC, but the other ramifications are extremely distressing. Climate change and our

food quality info would be kept from those not following the stories. People would be

malnourished, not knowing the food they always ate before won’t be the same because

of the co 2.   This is another horrifying action!

Anita

Jeanne Mayell, Tiger-n-Owl, deetoo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Registered
02/07/2019 12:00 pm  

Anita, I also saw that last night on Rachel's show.  Very upsetting news.  Rachel also addressed this topic about a week ago, when she featured one of the scientists who was protesting against this.  This particular scientist from the Dept. of Agriculture had even formed a union.  The Administration has already been burying a lot of these scientific studies and analyses, especially as they relate to climate change.  But I guess that wasn't enough -- they want to quickly relocate these scientists to Kansas City, knowing that many of the scientists will quit rather than quickly uproot their families.  That liar Perdue has no intention of replacing them.  This Administration is  determined to undermine scientific research that doesn't fit with their warped ideas.

Gracesinger, Jeanne Mayell, Anita and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@gracesinger)
Registered
09/07/2019 11:33 am  

Yes, but one region's loss is another's gain, and we'll take them all gladly.  In the long run, it might be a good thing: their work would be informed by the actual environment of a region responsible for a large portion of the nation's food and they, in turn, would help transform our political infrastructure to better serve that food source.  Energetically, Kansas City is a gateway to the West; the limestone there frees it from the denser energies to the east of it and it's much more western in character.  I don't know how to explain it; when I lived there, I could lift up into the skies at night, watch storms move across the plains, and fly on the wind.  Maybe scientists should be looking more to the West.   

deetoo liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Registered
09/07/2019 1:26 pm  

Gracesinger, I've never been to Kansas City, but I love your description.  You raise some interesting and thoughtful ideas.  Maybe in the long run, it will be a good thing.  But for now, I feel badly for these scientists.  Many of them  moved to the DC area with their families and don't want to be uprooted, especially considering the short notice.  And I firmly believe that T**** is hoping that many of them will quit.  The Administration is trying to muzzle these scientists from releasing any findings they don't agree with, especially related to climate change.   What better way to do that than by uprooting their lives?  

ReplyQuote
(@sidwich)
Registered
09/07/2019 8:26 pm  

That's an interesting point about Kansas City, but in the shorter-term, it doesn't even sound like there's a building for the scientists at the moment, so it doesn't even sound like there's any place for the scientists to do any real work out there.  And that's leaving aside the question of whether there are any laboratory facilities so they can do, ya know, scientific work.

(I don't have any friends at the USDA, but I have several friends who are scientists, and I have learned over time that getting a lab up and running is no small feat.  It can take months, and sometimes years to get a lab up and running for real specialized scientific work, so that fact that they're shipping scientists out there with no facility for them to work in is... heartbreaking.)

ReplyQuote
(@gracesinger)
Registered
15/07/2019 10:06 pm  

Just watched Rachel, and I apologize; four out of the five scientists won't be coming, and the devastation to the scientific community is horrendous.  The lack of facilities and so on are significant issues as Deetoo and Sidwich point out.  What scientist wants to raise her or his kids in schools that teach creationism?  What an appalling political move … among too many.

Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
Share: