Notifications
Clear all

Improving the Plight of Animals

(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

@laynara

Very sad about the displaced people & animals, and all of the fire destruction. 

I want to share this with the forum:

Killer heat and humidity combination not experienced before is becoming more common, https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/weather/killer-heat-climate-change-study/index.html

From the article:

"I was astonished by our findings," the author of the study tells CNN Weather. "My previously published study projected that these conditions would not take hold until later in the century."
"We may be at a closer tipping point than we think," Horton says.
"Climate change is increasing both air temperatures and the amount of moisture in the air, making humid heat events more frequent and severe."
-----------------------------------------

I don't remember all of the exact predictions or when they were made, but I know that people here have seen areas of the world getting too hot and too humid to live in. Apparently it's happening faster than researchers believed it would. 

There is one prediction for May, made by Jeanne, that syncs up with this article:

Summer is unusually hot already. Too much rain in some places. Too much heat in others. I see water vapor rising from the sidewalks. The heat in Florida has become unbearable. The people have turned away from the climate deniers. (Jeanne Mayell) Predicted 10.9.19

Stargazer, lenor, TriciaCT and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kateinpdx)
Noble Member Registered

@herondreams

My apologies if my post offended you. That wasn't my intention.

I agree, we have to listen to our bodies to know how to best nourish it and we are all a bit different. Way back in my 20's I was an obnoxious vegetarian who believed I was right and everyone who ate meat was wrong. 

Thankfully I got off that high horse (no pun intended!). I tried to be vegan for a while but it doesn't work for my body either. I do still eat some animal foods now to feel well, but far, far less than I used to (after being veg I went the other way for a while). So, I'm omnivore leaning heavily toward plant based. My spouse on the other hand would happily be a raw vegan. That would literally make me sick. I tried it. After 2 weeks I felt as vital as a dish sponge. 

My hope and wish is that we come to a place as a human species where we invest more heavily in regenerative farming practices (that would also make a significant difference in climate change!), raise animals humanely, respect ecosystems and biodiversity and use our vastly creative and innovative talents to come up with ingenious ways to live sustainably with a high quality of life for everyone. Hey, a girl can dream, right! 

But I digress...All that is to say I do not judge anyone who eats meat, and hopefully I don't come across that way. I know there are plenty of people who's bodies truly need it. And I think dogma is probably pretty unhealthy too. Not to mention a drag!

Stargazer, Unk p, lenor and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

To everyone here about meat. I appreciate that this forum is a non-judgemental place. I too can't and won't be a vegetarian/vegan but also buy all my meat and fish from sustainable, organic and those farms that have humane practices when it comes to animals. Fish I buy sustainable. I do eat two non meat or fish meals per week (generally speaking)

One thing that happened to me when I was iron deficient a couple times in my life was I found out that if you drink wine with dinner at night and you are eating Iron rich foods to boost your iron/B12 etc. don't drink RED wine with the meal, but drink WHITE wine instead WITH the meal. You can have the red later, but while you are consuming Iron rich foods it is best to do it without red wine because it interferes with the iron absorption. This was given to me by my doctor at the time. ? 

deetoo, Stargazer, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

Adding this topic in order to merge posts into one place for the plight of animals, the choice to become or not become vegan, buying cruelty free products and in general how we can improve the plight of animals. 

Well my dears, if you ask yourselves.... would I slaughter this animal to sustain myself... ?

And really consider the reality .. the abbatoirs....and the whole process of suffering ...what would you choose?

Just want to leave this here.....

(From the late great Edward Abbey ... wilderness adovocate, and author extraordinaire)....

"How strange and wonderful is our home,our Earth

With it's swirling vaporous atmosphere

It's flowing and and frozen climbing creatures

The croaking things with wings that hang on rocks

And soar through fog, the furry grass, the scaly seas

How utterly rich and wild ...

Yet some among us have the nerve, the insolence,the brass, the gall to whine of our earthbound fate...

And yearn for some more perfect world beyond the sky ...

We are none of us good enough for the world we have. "

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, Laynara and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well my dears, if you ask yourselves.... would I slaughter this animal to sustain myself... ?--Stargazer

Thank you, @stargazer, for this poignant reminder.

I had one of my rare vivid dreams last year which I posted in the dreams section.  I was serving something for dinner. It was three plates with young quails or chickens in each one.  They were alive.  I was told (by spirit, I presume) that I would have to slaughter them myself if I was to serve them for my guests and myself. I could not do it, so we ate something else. 

That was the dream.  I can't forget it. 

When I posted it, a few people responded that they have to eat animals due to digestive problems.  I have those digestive problems too.  It is difficult but the dream is still there.  

When Joaquim Phoenix chose to use his award moment at the Academy Awards to speak of the suffering of cows and their calfs so that we can have cream in our coffee, again, I was struck by the reminder to care for our fellow beings. So difficult, so inconvenient, but the message is clear.

Unk p, Share, gbs and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 gbs
(@gbs)
Famed Member Registered

I am getting there slowly. Since the lockdown, I've been eating less meat because I've been cooking almost all my meals and I don't like the smells of meat lingering inside my apartment.

I'm also drinking less cow's milk and transitioning to oat milk. 

Cheese is my biggest challenge. I buy cheese made by small producers, but I wish I could embrace non-animal alternatives.

Unk p, Stargazer, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@jeanne-mayell

Thank you Jeanne, gbs, and dhyanaji ?

Didn't intend to "meat-shame" anyone ... I recall several people saying that they can't live without it for various reasons. So to each his/her own ...

I suppose that I am really feeling the injustices of the corporate meat industries (humongous), how especially now in this stressed time there are more crimes than ever before going on ... there were more reports of horse meat being illegally passed off as beef (in Europe) recently ... and millions of farm animals have been callously destroyed during the pandemic.

It appears that times of extreme crisis brings out the very worst, but also the very best in we humans... an animal sanctuary in California bought two million chickens to save them from being wasted on the altar of corporate greed, and even sent planes to pick them up from a Midwestern state. That was a Wow moment!

My late grandfather was of Cherokee descent, and a hunter who only ate wild game ...he was the kindest person on this earth and saved baby animals all the time... it wasn't unusual for him to come in with little orphaned rabbits in his big jacket pockets (we would nurse & release them, no, they weren't dinner)). Though he did take deer and some fowl, like pheasant and duck, he honored their lives and was very conscientious.

A bygone era, when people raised their own food is a template that we could all benefit from to consider in the coming years ... and to be aware of the sources of all of our foodstuffs. I would love to see the demise of the corporate farms, and especially the cattle industry . The suffering that these mega-$$$ monsters have created is so insane! ?

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@dhyanaji

Aww, thank you! Yes, Grandpa Jack was a real heart throb too, lols... he was 6'5 and could have been Gary Cooper's twin ? Loved and sorely missed by all ....

The 'horse meat for human consumption' is a very, very big issue, and one atrocity that I have been battling for a very long time... on top of the thousands of domestic horses being discarded into the food chain (they are sold to kill buyers and cruelly transported across borders to be bloody slaughtered in the worst imaginable way), there are literally thousands of our precious Wild Mustangs being obliterated as well along with them. It is one of the more filthy 'little secrets' of the Great Idiot's regime along with his DOI and BLM henchman, and the good ol' Cattleman's Asso.

Ok, don't get me started! I have cried rivers of tears, advocated until I turn purple, and almost had a for-reals heart attack over this battle, along with many others who passionately want to see these iconic and irreplaceable beings (and the designated wild lands that they inhabit) remain free and alive.

Ahh, man, what a world our children are inheriting. Thank Spirit for people like you ... ?

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

I usually avoid anything talking about animal cruelty because I simple cannot handle it. I too am a vegetarian and try to be kind to every living thing (with the exception of ticks and mosquitoes, sorry:s)

That said, I really hope all of this makes ppl change towards less meat. I still can't believe all those animals have been killed just because it was easier to do so for those companies. It's monstrous, just like the fur industry.

I have said for years that if ppl hunt their own food it is natural. So a solute to all your grandparents who did! Mankind has forgotten where food comes from. I think that is the basis of all suffering.

Unk p, Stargazer, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Great news for Grizzly bears.  

In a stunning victory for wildlife conservationists and indigenous tribes – and for bears – a US court ruled on Wednesday that grizzly bears living in the vast Yellowstone ecosystem will remain federally protected and not be subjected to sport hunting.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service had sought to strip Yellowstone-area grizzlies of safeguards conferred by the Endangered Species Act. This would have allowed the states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho to permit a limited number of people to obtain hunting licenses, though sport hunting would have remained prohibited within Yellowstone itself.

WildEarth Guardians was among eight environmental groups, citizens and tribal entities that sued to have the highest level of species protection restored to grizzlies, on the basis that the bears’ recovery had not been assured.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/09/yellowstone-grizzly-bears-federal-protections-court

Unk p, Stargazer, Grace and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

This news makes me so happy! Not many things are as precious as the environment/wildlife. Actually got tears in my eyes. Yay for justice!

Unk p, Stargazer, Grace and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Good news about Lassen wolves in California.  They just had a litter of pups.  

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/27/california-wolf-pack-litter-pups-lassen

Grace, FEBbby23, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@lovendures

Thank you for posting this though it's very sad to me that there is only one pack left in CA ?

Wolves are very near and dear to my heart, more than I can tell you, lovendures... my main Totem Spirit animal, and their demise is devastating. These idiot cattle ranchers are responsible for the destruction, and are bent on eliminating our Wild Mustangs in the same cruel way.....it's absolutely criminal, all in the name of the almighty $ and pure greed, and probably sadism ... makes them feel powerfully macho to kill such sacred creatures.

So happy to see that new life is coming back with the new litters of wolf pups though ... hope they make it and there will be more .... education is the key to help people understand their own relationship to our wild ones .....

Grace, FEBbby23, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: