Clear all

We can save Oak Flat, a holy and sacred place for the Apache people

6 Posts
3 Users
32 Likes
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I repeatedly stood up for John McCain when he did something right.  I will now blast him for doing something horribly wrong.  Something that we can help (potentially) fix. This is the Apache peoples Standing Rock.  This is a fight we should all support.  

Call your congressional representative! 

"The Oak Flat area, which lies within the national forest, is sacred to the Apache people and central to the tribe’s origin story. For centuries before European settlers came, young girls gathered at this place ― called Chi’chil Bildagoteel in Apache ― for their coming-of-age ceremony. Apaches still visit in the spring to collect medicinal plants and in the fall to harvest Emery oak acorns, a protein-rich staple.

But if Resolution Copper, a subsidiary of international mining giants Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, gets its way, a large part of the site will disappear forever, sinking into a hole two miles wide and deep enough to hold three Statues of Liberty stacked on top of one another.

In 1955, the Eisenhower administration placed Oak Flat off-limits to mining. Then in the early 2000s, Resolution Copper began working to strip the area of that protection. Bills to remove the mining ban were regularly introduced in Congress and just as regularly defeated. In December 2014, this congressional version of whack-a-mole came to an end when then-Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) engineered a stealth maneuver. 

With no hearings or debate, McCain buried Resolution Copper’s take-over deep in a 700-page must-pass bill to fund the U.S. military. The government’s protection of sacred Apache land went the way of so many other broken promises."

Resolution Copper stands to make a billion dollars from mining operations on this land.

(More found in the link below)

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, Michele and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

Thank you for this eye opening story of another potential desecration of our ancestors sacred lands in North America. It hurts my heart to know how easy it can be to stealthy strip indigenous people of their rights, their public access to holy places and all of our rights to know about when power plays and deals occur beneath the surface of public awareness.

So incredibly sad. 

Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures

Thank you for opening this thread.  And thank you @michele for adding your support.  My heart aches for these people and for this sacred land. I will call my delegation.   I will send light to this sacred land.  Karma is real and I hate to think of the karmic debt falling upon the owners of this mining company and all contributing to its demise, past and present. 

Lilinoe, Unk p, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Thanks Jeanne.

It appears I accidenttly switched the C and the A of the word sacred in the title.  Don't know if that can be edited or not ...

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures

Done. :-)

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Here is a recent article about Oak Flat.  It is an in-dept and a wonderful profile on the person leading the fight against the mine and how his Apache upbringing is helping shape the fight. 

I actually think many will related tand appreciate  this article.The focus is on an Apache protector who  has been compared to the likes of Gandhi, King and Chavez. He is very in touch with Spirit.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2020/01/15/wendsler-nosie-vows-stay-resolution-copper-site-indefinitely/2598449001/

ReplyQuote
Share: