Notifications
Clear all

Earth Science Information and Technology  

RSS

(@michele-b)
Noble Member
07/30/2020 10:29 am  

"Plato is widely recognized as the first person to develop the concept of an atom, the idea that matter is composed of some indivisible component at the smallest scale," says Douglas Jerolmack, a geophysicist in Penn's School of Arts & Sciences' Department of Earth and Environmental Science and the School of Engineering and Applied Science's Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Science.

The interesting thing here is that what we find with rock, or earth, is that there is more than a conceptual lineage back to Plato. It turns out that Plato's conception about the element earth being made up of cubes is, literally, the statistical average model for real earth. And that is just mind-blowing."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200720112214.ht

Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell, PamP and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
 PamP
(@pamp)
Trusted Member
08/01/2020 8:22 pm  

I'm love earth science and tech. My BA is in geography, and I'm hoping to actually get to work in the field and get a Masters. I also like dreams, which is why when you mentioned Plato, this came to mind. Plato often referred to his dreams as a source of inspiration, as did Isaac Newton, Dmitry Mendeleyev (creator of the periodic table) and James Watson.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~esrabkin/sf/PlatosDream.htm

Michele, Lovendures, Unk p and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member
08/02/2020 9:47 am  

@pamp

Excellent Pam! We're big on earth sciences in our home and i, of course love dreams!

I took this on over to our "Dreams" thread as we all get talking about dreams eventually in all of the meanings of the word.

I give a link to lucid dreaming there with a discussion of finding amazing ideas and creativity in n our dreams:

C

PamP and Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
Share: