Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Desert Southwest Future is More Arid According to a New Study

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

This is an interesting article.  

Geologists from the University of Innsbruck study rainfall patterns in the distant past to better understand how deserts in the southwest United States will be impacted by future climate change.  As Jeanne has predicted, it will become more arid and Hot.

"Rises and falls in the local water table provide important clues to changes in rainfall patterns in the southwest United States. Most of the rainfall that recharges the desert aquifer comes from winter storms that move east along the Pacific storm track. The position and intensity of these winter storms depend on many factors, including surface ocean temperatures and the strength of pressure systems in the eastern Pacific. Whenever these factors changed dramatically in the past, such as during an ice age, the position of the Pacific storm track shifted in latitude. "Shifts in the Pacific storm track influenced the amount of rainfall reaching the southwest United States, resulting in pronounced changes in the Devils Hole water table height," says Kathleen Wendt. "The past has shown us that this 'water supplier' is incredibly sensitive to global climate changes."

Lessons from the Amargosa desert's distant past point to an even drier future. The already hot and dry southwest United States region is particularly sensitive to increasing global temperatures. "Climate models predict that this region will experience even higher temperatures and less precipitation in the next century," says Kathleen Wendt. The predicted drying trend is largely due to a gradual northward shift of the Pacific storm track, which will further reduce the amount of rainfall reaching the southwest in the future."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-10-areas-arid.html#jCp

Jeanne Mayell, Marley, Paul W and 3 people reacted
(@maria-d-white)
Noble Member Registered

What I've read about how climate change is expected to change the weather in North America is that the Western side will become hotter and drier, making agriculture much more difficult. While the East coast will have more danger of flooding events and hurricanes making landfall.

In general, it's believed that America is prone to more extreme weather than Europe, which is one of the reasons why civilization flourished around the Mediterranean while Native Americans didn't progress as fast.

The wildcard here is what happens to the Amazon rainforest. There have been several years of bad drought in the Amazon in recent times. There was an experiment to find out how resilient the Amazon is to drought, covering a patch of forest with a transparent plastic so it would get light but no rain. The results were scary. For two years, the forest seemed to go on with fairly few visible changes. Then, when it collapsed, it collapsed catastrophically, it took less than three months. So if there is a drought severe enough to destroy the Amazon rainforest, by the time we can actually see it's too severe for it to cope, there will be very little time to attempt to figure out any protective measures. And since there is a very real possibility that the government of Brazil is going to be, to put it politely, not too enlightened about ecology, the prospects are looking really frightening.

If the Amazon rainforest goes, a whole chunk of the global climate will go with it. The weather of all of South America will change beyond recognition, and North America will be the next most affected area, with rainfall patterns completely altered.

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Lovendures, thanks for posting.  I had seen in visions a few years ago that the Southwest U.S. would become bright red on climate maps,  meaning it would totally dry up and many people would have to migrate out.  I had no scientific explanation provided but was seeing that this area would be the first to go in the U.S. due to heat and drought.  

I also felt that Florida would be the first to go in terms of sea level rise, although the whole east coast of the U.S. is also a hotspot in terms of experiencing climate devastation earlier than other areas.

It is strange and unsettling  to hear that visions of four years earlier are coming true.

The "surge" visions I had also around this time are also starting to materialize.  for example, the U.N. Climate group which has always been way behind in their predictions, is now showing angst about their previous predictions being woefully, conservative.

There were scientists and science writers who had foreseen these events way back— James Hansen former NASA scientist and Jim Mccibben who started 360.org were both writing about the coming surges, but I didn’t know their work at the time I started seeing these things.  

Either I was getting it unconsciously from them or we were all getting it simply from the future and from other sources like spirit.  

Lovendures, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
(@nwdoug)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi Jeanne,

You see so clearly and are so perceptive concerning the future of the Southwest and so many other visions. I've been seeing articles regarding the depletion and pollution of the Ogallala Aquifer. Irrigation and chemicals in manure are being reported as the main culprit. Apparently the depth of the aquifer has decreased nearly 100 feet in areas of Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas since large scale farms began irrigating in the 1940’s. My brother lives in Kansas and told me some farm’s wells have already gone dry. Farms located near Lubbock, Texas could run out of ground well water in as few as 25 years, maybe sooner.

Because tariffs have cut into big farm profits, most are unwilling to stop using irrigation practices and manure on their soil to protect the little water they have left in their wells. Fairly large cities in the Southwest could run out of water for their populations. In the 1800’s the Rio Grand in Albuquerque was almost a mile wide. Today it is just a trickle.

Tiger-n-Owl, Lovendures, Tiger-n-Owl and 1 people reacted
(@nwdoug)
Estimable Member Registered

After our son was born in 1975 my wife and I began looking around for a place to raise our son. We felt there might be a water crisis in New Mexico in the future. We decided to leave Albuquerque and move to a small town located on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State where there was much more water. We're still there.

Share: