Clear all

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

120 Posts
18 Users
950 Likes
(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread devoted just to this year's hurricane season in the Atlantic. As if the world isn't already chaotic enough, meteorologists have been forecasting since March that this season will be more active than normal, and some of you have had visions of devastating hurricanes striking the US this year. 

Well, there have already been an unprecedented 2 named tropical storms in the month of May (the season doesn't official start until June 1), and right now tropical storm Cristobal (the earliest forming 3rd named storm in recorded Atlantic history) is beginning to move north from southeastern Mexico and is expected to make landfall in Louisiana by Sunday. Cristobal has dumped 24 inches of rain on parts of the Yucatan Peninsula. Even if it makes landfall in the US as just a tropical storm, I feel like it may drop massive amounts of rain and cause catastrophic flooding (like Harvey and Florence did). Thoughts? I know this isn't very optimistic, but I can't ignore the foreboding I felt when the red circle of Cristobal showed up on the National Hurricane Center map at the beginning of the week. The warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico also have a known recent history of rapidly strengthening tropical systems (think Hurricane Michael in 2018).

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

UPDATE: The National Weather Service has now issued tropical storm warnings for southeastern Louisiana, coastal Alabama, coastal Mississippi, and the far western portion of the Florida Panhandle. Storm surge watches have also been issued as far east as Hernando County (just north of Tampa). For a storm that's still 2 days away from landfall, this flurry of warnings is concerning. Cristobal is turning out to be big enough that the US Gulf coast can begin to experience the outer bands of the storm tonight.

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

This hurricane season continues to break records. Tropical Storm Fay, which just made landfall in New Jersey, is the earliest forming "F" storm since modern record keeping began. Fay is bringing heavy rainfall to the mid-Atlantic, and there will be some flooding in urban and poor drainage areas, but that's not what really concerns me (especially since this storm is moving north at a steady clip). Rather, I'm concerned about what Fay portends. The really powerful hurricanes usually don't start forming until mid-August at the earliest.

lenor, Stargazer, BlueBelle and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote  I am also concerned about these hurricanes and this season. When I heard about Fay yesterday morning, I had a vision of first floor apartments flooding in parts of NYC and some people needing to escape to higher floors to protect themselves.  

I hope people will take this hurricane season seriously.  Climate change is exponential, not linear. It's accelerating, not growing steadily. I know you know this but others may not realize what exponential means. This kind of growth  means that we will increasingly see record-breaking storms and some will be extreme. 

We may see steep jumps in the size and virulence of storms. We don't know how quickly weather changes are accelerating or how steep the curve is.  But I would get out of the way of any approaching storms from here on in. 

Rohenna, Stargazer, BlueBelle and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

I didn't learn about Fay until today. Last night, however, I had a premonitory dream. When I was growing up, my extended family used to rent a house in the NC Outer Banks for a week every summer. In  my dream, I was in an oceanfront Outer Banks beach house with some of my brothers and cousins. We were on the third (topmost) floor of the house, which is usually where the kitchen, family room, and large windows are placed in these sorts of houses. I looked out a window and saw dark clouds with aprons of rain beneath them approaching. When the storm arrived, the ocean waves grew bigger and bigger, to the point where I realized they would swamp the beach and inflict structural damage on the neighborhood. Rather than being alarmed, I was fascinated; I was thinking "How interesting. It's just like a movie." But then the water from the waves surged into the house, covered the first two floors, and came up to my knees; I had to grab hold of the walls to keep from being pulled outside. I then realized in a panic that my brother was on the floor below and had likely been carried away by the water. To my relief, when the water subsided, my brother trudged upstairs.

The dream did seem to be about not taking these weather threats seriously and ending up in a dangerous situation as a result.

Rohenna, Stargazer, deetoo and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

Tropical Storm Hanna is churning towards Texas, and Tropical Storm Gonzalo is on track to impact the southern Windward Islands. They aren't expected to strengthen.

These are the earliest-formed "G" and "H" storms on record. It's foreboding that the previous holders of all of these "earliest formed" records were storms in the catastrophic 2005 hurricane season. I started this thread because I felt the current hurricane season would be one for the records, and so far that intuition is coming true. I think things are going to get more violent next month, and everyone on the eastern seaboard of the US needs to be prepared. COVID-19 and the political situation are not the only manifestations of this chaotic year. 

Ms. C., SisterMoon, LalaBella and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

It's frightening to think that there may not be the usual options - I know I wouldn't volunteer to go to a shelter for a hurricane.

Coyote, Unk p, Coyote and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Out in the Pacific,  Douglas is currently a Category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 115 mph that extend 25 miles from the center of the storm. A major hurricane is any storm ranked Category 3 -- sustained winds 111 to 129 mph -- or stronger.
A hurricane watch has been issued for the Big Island of Hawaii and for Maui County

Stargazer, Unk p, Stargazer and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Thanks, @coyote, for starting this thread.  Your last post says a lot of the things i was going to say in a post that got eaten yesterday.  Houston started getting rain from Hannah earlier this evening, even though it is projected to hit Corpus Christie- which is a couple hundred miles away. But rain is always good in TX in the summer (unless you get so much that it starts coming up thru the floorboards into the house).

When i was a kid on the coast, i looked forward to tropical storms, because "Hey! Surf's up!" lol.  But this whole summer has felt like "Hurricane Weather", something i can't describe.

I threw cards on Gonzalo (which means ''battle'' in Spanish, aye yai yai) and it's impact on the Gulf and East coasts.  For the Gulf, it was Knight of Pentacles.  But for Gonzalo's impact on the East Coast, i drew the Emperor, reversed. That didn't sound good, so i drew another card for clarification.  It was the Death card.  I know that the Death card doesn't have to mean actual death- it could mean transformation. But transformation by hurricane is always traumatic.  At least it wasn't the Tower card.

Not trying to scare anyone.  We just have to watch, and be prepared.  Please feel free to throw cards for yourselves.  I hope to be wrong.

I was going to list all of the names for the hurricane season of 2020 here, to make it easy to do readings on all of them with the Tarot, but i think that is what got my post deleted last time, so i won't.

Stargazer, Coyote, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

@unk-p that's interesting what you got for the east coast. I haven't really been paying attention to Gonzalo since it was so far south. I'm in the Wilmington NC area, this will be my second hurricane season (I'm originally from AZ), so all of this is still new to me. I've thrown a few cards in the past few months on hurricane season, but it was nothing significant at the time. I think I'll do this again to see what I get. 

Here's the list, let's see if it works, haha. 

List of active/remaining 2020 Atlantic hurricane names:

Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Stargazer, Coyote, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

@unk-p

As you may already know, Hannah was upgraded to a category 1 storm, making it the first full-fledged hurricane of the season. Forecasters are now saying Gonzalo  will dissipate in the Caribbean, but when everything is acting weird, who knows?

@lovendures

Yes, Douglas is a storm to watch. If it makes landfall in Hawaii, it would only be the third tropical cyclone in recorded history to make a direct strike on the islands.

Stargazer, Laynara, Avon and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

So I threw some cards (Thoth Deck) on the next few storms to see what came up. I'm a newbie at this, so any feedback or thoughts is appreciated! 

Isaias: Queen of Wands – Interpreted as “Pay attention to me,” but she’s calm in her chair. Although the storm is mighty, I don’t think the impact in the US will be great.

Josephine: 6 of Disks/Success – The card itself looks like a hurricane. I interpret that as it will hit the US. When I first looked at the list of storm names, this one stuck out. But not sure if it's because it's the longest name or not. 

Kyle: Prince of Wands – I interpreted this as it will be a strong/fast storm, but to me, it felt like it would not hit the US. It would go another direction or die out fast.

Laura: 5 of Cups/Disappointment – not sure if this is a disappointment for us or the storm, haha. I didn’t get any sense of this storm. Could be a tropical storm that never develops.

Marco: Universe – When I looked at the card, I saw all the water coming from the corners and she’s aiming right at the eye. I took this as lots of water, the perfect storm. This storm feels big and scary when I think about it, hope I'm wrong. 

Jeanne Mayell, Rohenna, Coyote and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@avon

I was intrigued by your reading, so I wanted to do one of my own for the names you listed. Here is what I got:

Isaias: Ace of Cups. I sensed a lot of power with this card. A lot of waves as they come out from the eye. A powerful eye as well? I notice the red waves and wonder if this will cause a lot of damage? The text mentions this card being the root of the powers of water; productiveness. So, I think this might be a big one whereever it hits.

Josephine: The Magus. I wasn't sure how to interpret this card for a hurricane. It made me think of this perhaps being a transformative event? It may contain a message for us in some way? A warning of a need to heal or prepare for future storms?

Kyle: Ruin (10 of swords) This card seemed very harsh to me. The swords are very specifically pointed and some are breaking. I interpret this as the storm causing specific, small areas of damage, but not widespread. The text indicates this card shows "disaster not entirely without hope"; disruption; idle chatter. So, again, perhaps some small areas of severe damage, but not as bad as it may seem at first? May be a good complement to your Prince of Wands - not hitting the U.S., or just causing small areas of damage.

Laura: Luxury (4 of cups) This card made me think of a lot of water (flooding?) and overflow, but relatively gentle. The roots at the bottom seem tangled. The text indicates weakness. So, perhaps a tropical storm that brings flooding, but is not a severe storm? I thought it was an interesting parallel to the 5 of cups that you pulled.

Marco: Abundance (3 of cups) Lots of rain; some flooding. The flowers at the top of the card made me think of heavy wind (they sort of look like hoses pointing a heavy spray.) An over abundance of water. The text indicates transient; cannot be relied on. So, maybe this is another that will look severe, but will peter out or not cause the damage that is thought may occur?

Rohenna, Coyote, Stargazer and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

@cc21

That's great! We got a few similar outcomes, it'll be interesting how it pans out. Seems Kyle and Laura may be uneventful. Hope Marco does too, I just got bad vibes when I thought about the name. 

Stargazer, CC21, Stargazer and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@avon i'm glad you and @cc21 are doing readings on the storms. I was completely wrong about Gonzalo, and it feels great, lol.

But i just snapped that there is a (gulp) Hurricane *Laura* on the list.  Oh noes!

-don't laugh- she might hear us ? 

Coyote, Stargazer, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

Lol!! ?  I was concerned about Nana being on the list, is grandma going to be in a good or bad mood?!?

Lovendures, Michele, jsr78 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

@avon

The name Marco stood out to me as well. I think that's because lots of "M" hurricane names have been retired due to their destructiveness. Recent examples include Matthew, Maria, and Michael. 

For the record, later names on this year's list that popped out to me were Omar and Wilfred. 

CC21, Unk p, Avon and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

@avon, I'm in your neck of the woods. Been in Wilmywood (sometimes called Hurricane Alley) for nearly 25 years now. Have been thru some of the big ones here. F named storms have a bad history around here-Fran, Floyd, Florence. All three names were retired after hitting here because of their damage and loss of life. Locals know what to do, and how to prepare. I was out yesterday doing normal 'just in case' things, and locals were lined up at the gas pumps already. 

Isaias looks like Matthew in it's projected path so far, but give it a few hours and the models will change. Matthew was about 15 miles off shore when it passed by my house (I'm in the southern half of the county, so there's not much land between the river and the ocean). Matthew got me a new roof. Lucky me-I had no damage from Florence when she hit and most of my neighbors had to get new roofs in her wake.  Just remember if you bug out, you won't get home for a week to 10 days at minimum if we get high enough rain totals. That's why many locals stay put. I-40, 17, 421- they all go under. After the flood waters receded after Florence, they still couldn't open some roads until the fire trucks hosed down the roads to get rid of the beached fish that could cause accidents. The number one cause of death is flooding-people thinking I can drive through that- followed by trees coming down. 

If you have any questions-let me know. I've been through many a storm here.

Laynara, Unk p, Lovendures and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@cindy

Boy, have you ever been through a lot in your life!

But it is so good to hear from you even if another big challenge is now brings you back to us to share your wonderful wisdom with others.

Heartfelt prayers as you and the rest of your family ride this one out.

Hope you and your son are doing well. Are you still helping family in their home or back in your original one? 

Unk p, CC21, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@avon

This grandma is almost ajways in a good one but anyone even willing to name a hurricane after one of my kind--well, I'm not very happy with them!

Let's hope and pray we never get to the 'N's! 

And the fact that so many names had to be retired tells me that we could use a few pardon the name "weather witchers". 

I was once invited to a very powerful group of women in my extended area who did nothing but hone their advanced skills on that. I politely declined.  A very  different kind of "Power of Eight" but still something that could be observed.

Now,  it'd be a very useful ability with climate change and weather catastrophes. 

SisterMoon, Unk p, Avon and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: